Tuesday, November 19, 2013

UP ALL NIGHT BOOK CLUB IN DENVER, CO

I had the extreme pleasure of being invited to a book club meeting of the Up All Night Book Club in Denver, Colorado last Saturday night.  They decided to read my book for the month of November and had me come to answer questions.  I haven't been that nervous for a very long time.  The questions were very interesting. They kept me on my toes the entire time.  At the beginning of the evening they wrote questions on three by five cards and handed them in.  A moderator ran each question past me in front of the members.

Sample questions consisted of:
-how much of the book is fiction?
-what character do you identify with the most?
-how did divorce recovery personally affect my life?
-how many men compared to women attended divorce recovery?
-what inspired me to write the book?

At first I felt like a man on trial, then with each question, the my tension relaxed more and more.  Almost to the point where I looked forward to the next question. 

Having attended a few coed book club meetings with them in the past, I knew how direct and personal the members could and would  be.  There were even the usual  males there.  The November meeting is the only gathering that includes men.  

I felt the constructive criticism was very productive for me.  Some of them were; develop the characters more, be more sensitive to the woman's point of view (hard for me being a man), maybe not make the characters have sex too quickly and do a better job on editing.

One of the male members did comment on the sex coming too quickly.  He stated that after a hard and devastating divorce, some people dive into a sexual relationship quickly to fill that missing void.  I did agree with him. One can get caught up over compensating in order to lessen the pain of loneliness. 

I look forward to adding to my Rebound series and getting grilled and turned  by the club in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment